People hear the word “braces” and instantly think of a young teenager with a metallic smile that becomes a gorgeous one just in time for senior prom. It’s not an uncommon scenario, but it’s not exclusive, either. You don’t have to be a teenager to get braces. Adults deserve to have a gorgeous smile, too!
Innovative Orthodontics treats patients of all ages throughout South Jersey with braces and Invisalign. We’ve seen many adult patients come in unsure if they should get treatment. They think it’s “too late” for them. But we know it’s never too late to have a healthy mouth and a beautiful smile! We know at any age, you’re worth it! The best part is, you have several options in your treatment because there are now different types of braces available. You don’t have to look like a teenager with a “mouthful of metal” to get an amazing smile.
ARE ADULT BRACES WORTH IT?
Many adults are hesitant because they’re not sure getting braces as an adult is worth it. After all, they’ve lived with their crooked teeth this long, right? But what they may not realize is their crooked teeth may be the cause of other issues they’ve been having, such as headaches, jaw pain, neck aches, and even digestive problems.
You are NEVER too old for a beautiful, healthy smile. You may also find that repairing your bite can relieve jaw and bite problems that have been building up over the years. Many of our adult patients gain more self-confidence after braces and have less digestive issues because they can chew their food properly for the first time in decades.
There is a host of reasons to get adult braces.
- Boost self-esteem — Your smile is your best first impression, and repairing your smile can give you a huge boost of self-confidence, which will improve your self-esteem.
- Better oral hygiene — It’s much easier to clean straight teeth because the toothbrush or floss may not get to every surface of crooked teeth. Cleaner teeth mean lower chances of tooth decay or gum disease, which could lead to tooth loss.
- Improve bite — Crooked or misaligned teeth make it harder to bite and chew your food. Straight teeth can improve digestion because you chew your food properly before it enters your stomach.
- Prevent chipped teeth — A misaligned bite puts extra pressure on your teeth and jaws. Over time, this extra pressure can damage your enamel and lead to tooth chips, cracks, and breaks.
- Prevent jaw strain/TMJ Disorder — That same extra pressure can affect your jaw joint, called the temporomandibular joint. This can lead to TMJ Disorder, which causes joint pain, inflammation, and popping.
- Improve speech — You form certain sounds because your tongue hits the right spots in your mouth and teeth. Crooked teeth can create slurs and lisps with certain letters. Straight teeth can improve those speech sounds.
Improve breathing — If your jaw is misaligned or the roof of your mouth isn’t the right shape, it can narrow your breathing passages. You may find it harder to breathe, especially at night. This can lead to snoring or sleep apnea, which can harm your overall health. Orthodontic treatment can help improve your breathing.
HOW LONG DO ADULTS WEAR BRACES?
Adults tend to wear braces a bit longer than teenagers or children, on average 18-30 months compared to 12-24 months for teenagers. That’s because after your teeth have finished coming in at about 18-20 years of age (the wisdom teeth), your jawbone hardens and sets completely. Your jaw is growing and changing as a teenager, so the bone is more malleable.
Does that mean adults can’t get braces? Not at all! It just means it takes a little extra time, particularly at the start of treatment, to remind the jaw how to break down and rebuild so the teeth can move. Once it gets going, though, your teeth will move into place just fine. Think of it as getting back on a bicycle after a decade!
HOW DO I GET BRACES FOR ADULTS?
Getting braces for adults is easy if you’re in the areas of Sicklerville, NJ, Mount Laural, NJ, or Woolrich Township, NJ. Innovative Orthodontics offers several options for adults. We have metal braces that are much smaller and more efficient than the “mouthful of metal” braces you might remember as a kid. We also have a clear version of the same braces. Our clear braces more closely match your natural tooth color, making them harder to see. They work just as well as the metal ones, and we offer the clear option at no extra cost!
Still hesitant about wearing braces? We also offer treatment with Invisalign clear aligners, which offer the same movement power without the wires. Many adult patients look to this option or the clear braces. They’re harder to see on your teeth, but they do a fantastic job of straightening them!
You don’t have to continue to live with your crooked teeth, nor do you have to continue to suffer from jaw pain, headaches, and digestive issues. Adult orthodontics can help improve your oral health and your overall health.
Ready to get started? You can schedule a free consultation to find out all the options available for you. We’ll invite you to one of our offices, where we will give you a thorough examination and let you know what treatment would work best for you. Thanks to our state-of-the-art software, you’ll be able to see what your smile will look like once we’re done. Whether you’re 15 or 50, you deserve to have a beautiful smile, and you can get it with braces!